Paradox Interactive announces Europa Universalis IV; first screenshots and announcement trailer inside
With Gamescom only a couple of days away, news is already beginning to come in from Cologne, Germany, where the event will take place. The following should please those with a taste for nation-management and strategy steeped in world history.
Paradox Interactive today announced that it is working on a new entry in its long-running and successful Europa Universalis series. That new entry is Europa Universalis IV, and it promises to provide "drama and tension that only the grand stage of history can provide," with tons of new features and greater levels of flexibility.
I'd detail those new features myself, but Paradox did it so nicely, as the following list shows:
- Make your own decisions: Nation building is completely flexible
- Use your Monarch Power: In this new system, a leader's traits will direct the ebb and flow of gameplay
- Experience history coming to life: The great personalities of the past are on hand to support you as you make your mark on thousands of historical events
- Turn the world into your playground: Enjoy over 300 years of gameplay in a lush topographical map in full 3D
- Gain control of vital trade routes and make the wealth of the world flow to your coffers in the all-new trade system
- Bring out your negotiating skills in a deeper diplomatic system
- Go online and battle against your friends in an all-new multiplayer game mode that features hot-join, improved chatting, a new matchmaking server, and support for a standalone server
- Create your own history and customize your game: Europa Universalis IV gives you the chance to customize and mod practically anything your heart may desire
That's quite a lot of stuff for strategy-buffs out there to look forward to here. Unfortunately, you guys are going to have to wait awhile, it seems, as Paradox has yet to divulge when Europa Universalis IV may be released. Time will tell, but when?
You can take a look at the trailer that went live with the announcement above, as well as view a host of Europa Universalis IV screenshots below.
Source: Paradox Interactive press release
A writer, journalist, and aspiring storyteller, Peter Grimm has been gaming since the days of the Nintendo 64, and reporting on the goings-on in the World of Gaming since late 2011. His base of writing operations is located within the void between Here and There, or so he would have you think.
[Other Gaming News +]
More from GameDynamo