BioShock Infinite leads March software sales in U.S.
Plenty of new and recently-released games did rather well here in the States last month, but none did better than BioShock Infinite.
According to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz, Irrational’s latest shooter sold 878,000 units during the month, which is impressive considering how late in March the game launched. Creutz also said that the game has continued to perform strongly in April, and is expected to sell a grand total of 4.5 million units within a year from its release.
Other new games fared well in March, with Gears of War: Judgment and God of War: Ascension selling considerably more than expected (though not as much as previous games), while The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct pulling in “surprisingly strong” sales. Meanwhile, Tomb Raider enjoyed the highest first-month sales of any game in the series, and titles like MLB13: The Show, NBA 2K13, and Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 shined as some of the highest performing titles of the month.
Total U.S. games sales for March were around $992.5 million, a 10% decrease over March of last year. Software sales, however, were able to inch upwards (about 2%) for the first time since November 2011. On the hardware side, things were less encouraging, with a considerable drop of 32% in console and portable sales. The exception was the Nintendo 3DS, the sales of which increased 9% from last year, bolstered by strong sales of Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.
The ten bestselling games of March are as follows:
1. BioShock Infinite (X360, PS3, PC) - Take-Two Interactive
2. Tomb Raider (X360, PS3) - Square Enix
3. Gears of War: Judgment (X360) - Microsoft
4. God of War: Ascension (PS3) - Sony
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (X360, PS3, PC, Wii U) - Activision Blizzard
6. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) - Nintendo
7. MLB13: The Show (PS3, PS Vita) - Sony
8. NBA 2K13 (X360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PSP, PC) - Take-Two Interactive
9. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (X360, PS3, Wii U) - Activision Blizzard
10. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (X360, PS3) - Namco
A writer, journalist, and aspiring storyteller, Peter Grimm has been gaming since the days of the Nintendo 64, and reporting on the goings-on in the World of Gaming since late 2011. His base of writing operations is located within the void between Here and There, or so he would have you think.
[Other Gaming News +]
MORE FROM GAMEDYNAMO