E3 2015: Square Enix Press Event Videos, Highlights, and Announcements
- The show appears to be opening with Just Cause 3. Bombastic explosion and reckless driving. Phil Roger, CEO of Square Enix Americas and Europe comes on to talk about Square Enix's journey recently, before they get into the games.
- Roland Lesterlin from Avalanche Studios comes to the lectern to talk Just Cause 3. They've upgraded all the tools to allow players to create their own unique, over-the-top, open-world experiences.
- Just Cause 3 will launch on PS4, PC and XBox One on December 1st 2015. Roll the trailer.
- Rico Rodriguez returns home. An island republic overseen by a dictator? Really? It looks like you can do some very silly things with the grappling hook. Combat from the parachute is now easier to do effectively. The wingsuit is improved. Weapons. Vehicles. Physics-based chaos. It's quite an in-depth trailer.
- Yosuke Saito presenting a new game... in conjunction with Platinum Games... A new Nier title. A teaser was shown, with a female protagonist.
- More information later in Autumn 2015. Production has just begun. Will appear on the Playstation 4. Yosuke now brings on two of the guys involved in the game.
- Yoko Taro, the game's director is wearing some sort of head/mask. It's terrifying. Inaba from Platinum Games to talk about their involvement, they were approached by Square to invigorate the Nier franchise.
- Lara Croft. On to Rise of the Tomb Raider. Showing the trailer that we've already seen. November 10th 2015. Brian Horton to talk about it. Want to make Lara feel as human and believable as possible. On to a behind the scenes video showing how this new Lara has been put together. They're putting the tombs back in Tomb Raider.
- Patrick Naud introduces Lara Croft Go, in the same vein as Hitman Go. It's got a nice clean aesthetic. For mobile platforms, iOS and Android. Coming soon.
- Shinji Hashimoto, Kingdom Hearts producer. Kingdom Hearts?
- No, it's the trailer for the Final Fantasy VII Remake that was shown at the Playstation conference yesterday. More to come this Winter.
- Final Fantasy VII HD talk. On PS4 in Winter. On iOS this Summer. How did that happen?
- Now Kingdom Heart. New trailer. Looks like a mobile game though. Not Kingdom Hearts 3... Kingdom Hearts Unchained Key. Now in development for iOS and Android. Smattering of applause. not what the audience really wanted.
- Here we go. Kingdom Hearts 3. But first a message from Disney. They're bringing Tangled to Kingdom Hearts, and probably more to come. They're really stretching this Kingdom Hearts trailer out...
- Another delay. Roy from the video is here today.
- Now, the World premiere of a new Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer.
- The crowd seemed to like that. Now in development. No release date though.
- On to World of Final Fantasy, introduced yesterday at Sony's event. Showing the same trailer. Takes place in a new universe. Welcome to the stage the director, Hiroki Chiba to talk about it.
- This looks to be one for the newcomers, to school them in the ways of Final Fantasy. Simple but deep. The kind of game parents can play with their children. Players and monsters form towers and the formation of these towers impact your effectiveness in battle. It's coming in 2016.
- IO Interactive, Creative Director, Christian Elverdam. New game, simply called Hitman. A Digital release, that will take place in a live, open world that will expand over time. Every target has a name, every room has a purpose. Gimme a gameplay trailer.
- Freedom of approach. Disguises. Prepare to improvise. "Ever expanding, ever dangerous. It will never stop challenging you." Looks like my kinda game, that.
- Think we're seeing Star Ocean V now. This is the franchise timeline recap, with an English translation. Integrity and Faithlessness.
- Shuichi Kobayashi comes on to talk about Star Ocean V by tri-Ace, and introduce the world premiere of gameply footage. Lots of JRPG running in a variety of environmets. Seamless integration of combat. Coming to Europe and North America in 2016, Winter 2015 in Japan.
- Adam Jenson has joined Taskforce 29... but he's also a covert double agent. New weapon enhancements. More choice, more consequence.
- In-game trailer. Looks impressive, tons of information in there to pick apart. To be released in early 2016, on PC, PS4 and XBox One.
- Square Enix director Yosuke Matsuda mentions Final Fantasy Portable App briefly, coming this Summer, then says there is one more thing.
- A new RPG project. New studio called Tokyo RPG Factory. Working on an all-new console RPG. A new series. They're are showing off concept art. Project Setsuna.
- Looks like they are wrapping up with a massive montage of what they've just shown and getting all the presenters back on stage to pat each other's backs. Look at that guy with the mask! What is he thinking?
So that was very... professional, wasn't it? Felt rather corporate, and the audience felt much more subdued than those present in the conferences yesterday. It wasn't without interesting titles, but it had a few more downbeat moments, and it all felt a little staid. There were definitely some big games talked about, but it seemed to be all about Kingdom Hearts 3, really. That's the one that the Square Enix fans were clearly waiting for.
We also saw the new Deus Ex, Hitman and Star Ocean games in motion, as well as an in-depth discussion of the new mechanics in Just Cause 3. Rise of the Tomb Raider was sort of passed over with a behind the scenes video rather than a new gameplay section, and the talked about mobile games are not likely to start any fires. Platinum Games are working on a new Nier title, but only a brief teaser was shown. Not much to go on. Project Setsuna is the new project they revealed right at the end, but again the details were thin on the ground. It's been suggested that it could be a reference to a new title in the Chrono franchise.
If you missed it or want to look back at some of the footage not already included, you can see the whole conference here.
This year, Square Enix will be joining the announcement-making party with its E3 Conference 2015, which will take downtown Los Angeles by storm on June 16 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.
With the likes of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Just Cause 3 and (hopefully) Kingdom Hearts III expected to show up, fans will do well to check out Twitch and YouTube to find out more. You guys will also be able to view the Conference right here, complete with a highlight recap for those who come in late.
Eoin has been gaming for twenty-five years, worries he might be getting a little too old for it all, but hopes that he isn't. In the midst of an effort to find a future doing something he loves, he has taken to writing about his one enduring passion - video games.
[Other Features +]
MORE FROM GAMEDYNAMO